Do you feel too ashamed to remove your shoes in public because of cracks in your heels? While we spend a lot of time caring for our face, our feet are mostly ignored. Some of the causes of cracked heels is dry air, lack of moisture, improper foot care, an unhealthy diet, aging, prolonged standing on hard floors and wearing the wrong types of shoes..
There’s several home remedies for cracked heels that you can try to resolve the problem.
1. Baking soda
Baking soda are a exfoliant. It removes dead cells and too possesses anti-inflammatory properties. Baking soda can too neutralize foul odor.
- Add three tbsp of baking soda to a bowl of lukewarm water. Mix well until the baking soda dissolves.
- Soak your feet in this for quarter-hour.
- Remove your feet, and scrub gently with a pumice stone.
- Rinse with clean water, and dry your feet with a clean towel.
- Repeat the procedure twice a week.
2. Vegetable oil
A variety of vegetable oils can be used to treat and prevent cracked heels. Olive oil, sesame oil, coconut oil or any other hydrogenated vegetable oil will work. Oils are readily absorbed by the skin. Most vegetable oils contain vitamins such provitamin A, D, and E, which all help nourish the skin and create new cells.
- First soak your feet in soapy water and scrub your feet with a pumice stone.
- Dry your feet using a soft towel.
- Use any vegetable oil liberally on your heels and soles.
- Put on a pair of clean comfortable socks, and leave them overnight.
- Apply this remedy before going to bed to allow ample time for the oil to fully penetrate your skin.
Banana is one of the cheapest home remedies for cracked and dry heels, thanks to their moisturizing properties. It contains vitamins A, B6, and C, which all help to maintain the elasticity of the skin and keep them hydrated.
- Mash one ripe banana into a smooth paste. Clean your feet thoroughly and use the banana paste on your heels.
- Gently rub the paste all over your feet, including the nail beds and sides of the toe.
- Let it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes so that your skin can absorb the natural nourishment.
- Wash your feet gently with some warm water and then soak your feet in cold water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this every night before going to bed for 2 weeks or until you’re satisfied with the results.
4. Epsom Salt
If you’ve cracked heels, it is important to take extra care to keep your heels well moisturized. You can do these simply with an Epsom salt or a sea salt foot soak. Them will reduces inflammation and softens skin. The sulfates aid flush toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
- Add one-half a cup of Epsom salt to warm water in a foot basin.
- Stir well.
- Soak your feet in this solution for 15 minutes.
- Scrub to remove dead skin.
- Repeat this 2–3 times a week.
Honey has moisturizing and antibacterial properties, meaning them draws water from the inner tissues to the outer layers of the skin. These fluid shift creates a plumping effect that aids the outer skin heal.
- Add 1 cup of honey to a tub of warm water.
- Soak your clean feet in the mixture, and gently massage for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Scrub your feet gently.
- Do this daily or several times a week before going to bed.
6. Listerine and vinegar
Listerine contains thymol and alcohol, which aid to fight toenail fungus, cure cracked feet, soothe skin, and treat plantar warts. The mild acids present in vinegar soften dry and dead skin, making it easy to exfoliate.
- Prepare a mixture of 1 cup of Listerine, 1 cup of white vinegar, and two cups of water.
- Soak your feet in the mixture for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove your feet, and scrub them using a pumice stone to remove dead skin.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Repeat each day until your heels heal.
7. Vaseline and lemon juice
Vaseline acts as a moisturizer, and the citric acid in lemon juice promotes skin peeling and regrowth of new skin cells.
- Soak your feet in warm water for about 15-20 minutes. Rinse, and pat dry.
- Add 3–4 drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice to one tsp of Vaseline. Mix well.
- Utilise these mixture to your heels and other cracked parts of your feet.
- Wear a pair of woolen socks, and let it sit overnight. Wash applying warm water in the morning.
- Do this every day before going to bed.