There’s nothing like getting a good foot massage after a long hard day busy. Not only does it feel fantastic, but it is really good for your body. Some studies have shown that if we massage our feet nightly before going to bed we will strengthen our immune system and have other benefits.
8 Reasons Foot Massages Are So Good For You.
1. Promotes better sleep
The better time to do foot massage is before going to bed. A soothing and relaxing foot massage improves the blood circulation. This successively will encourage restful sleep.
How Do It:
- Sit upright on your foot in your lap.
- Using your thumb, press in and around the large plantar pad of your big toe.
- Do these for at least 1 minute on each of the big toes.
- Next, massage the bottom of your feet for 10 minutes with warm coconut oil, olive oil or mustard oil.
2. Improves mood and fights depression
Foot massage and reflexology can even aid fight depression. Certain points on the feet is helpful in alleviating depression symptoms.
For example, the spot in the center of the big toe, the spot at the center of the ball of your foot or the ball of the foot located under the big toe is associated with emotional stability and genial health.
Massaging this points or applying pressure to them for some minutes 2-3 times a day can aid relieve symptoms of depression.
3. Improves blood circulation
Due to a sedentary life-style, many people don’t use their feet muscles properly, so impeding good blood flow. Also, tight, pointed shoes–specially high heels–hinder circulation. 10 minutes of foot massage daily aids in transporting oxygen to the body’s cells, which are essential for overall health. Foot massage will too stimulate the lymphatic system and help prevent varicose veins.
How Do It:
- Put any massage oil in your palm and rub it firmly on your foot for many minutes.
- And then, stroke the foot gently but firmly from toes to ankle.
- Finally, give a gentle massage to your lower leg too.
- Repeat as is with the other foot.
4. Relieves Aches and Pains
Reflexology can aid treat different types of pains and aches, such headaches, migraines, neck pain, lower and upper backaches.
If you’ve neck pain, massage the toes also as the joints that join the toes to the foot as 5 minutes firmly and soon the pain will vanish.
For backaches, gently massage along the spinal reflex with your thumb, starting from the side of the toe to the ankle using small circular motions. As well, massage the soles and tops of your feet.
Apply pressure with your thumb between the outer ankle bone and the Achilles tendon for some minutes, to relieve thigh pain or lower back pain.
Massage the whole ankle to reduce pain and swelling in the ankle and get relief from headaches and migraines.
5. Lowers Blood Pressure
To treat High blood pressure it is important to massage the solar plexus reflex. These reflex point can be easily located by squeezing each side of your foot. The hollow that forms is where the solar plexus point is.
How Do It:
- Press these reflex point for a few seconds with your thumb and take an deep breath.
- Release the thumb and breathe out.
- Repeat on the other foot.
- Do it twice a week for many weeks.
6. Restless Leg Syndrome
Foot massage is too helpful in treating restless leg syndrome, an kind of neurological disorder. Restless leg syndrome can cause trouble sleeping due to the unpleasant sensations like throbbing, pulling and the urge to move your legs.
How Do It:
- Begin by massaging the heels and ankles of your foot with the fleshy portion of both your hands.
- And then, massage in circular motions with gentle yet firm strokes, moving upward of the ankles.
- Do this every day for 10 minutes before bedding.
7. Helps in relaxation
Daily foot massage of 5-10 minutes before going to bed can improve feelings of general well-being. Always apply warm oil for foot massage so that it easily penetrates deep in the skin. As well, apply gentle yet firm strokes.
8. Alleviates Edema
Regular foot massage during pregnancy can aid reduce the effects of edema, which is swelling in the feet and ankles due to fluid retention. These is very common during pregnancy, particularly in the last trimester.
As well, massage your entire foot for 10 minutes 2-3 times a week to notice improved mood, less anxiety and lower blood pressure.