From ancient tricks to modern applications, baking soda has been praised as having amazing uses both in and out of your diet. We have compiled a list of the 10 powerful uses of baking soda.
Baking soda is non-toxic, but be sure you always consult a physician prior use and always purchase the aluminum free variety.
10 powerful uses of baking soda
1.Antacid for Heartburn: After eating too fast, or something spicy or acidic, our stomach acid can have unpredictable reactions, and splash up into our esophagus. A teaspoon of baking soda in 250 ml of water can help neutralize and calm your heartburn.
2. Make a Bath Soak: I’ve said it a thousand times. We are what we ABSORB. A baking soda bath can help alkalize and detoxify your skin, and other areas of your body that you don’t pay much attention to. You can mix about 5 tablespoons of baking soda into your full bath tub and enjoy a detoxifying soak.
3. Clean Baby Clothes: Several detergents contain heavy metals and other toxins. The stain removing and odor fighting agents are often extremely acidic and harmful to human skin, especially toddlers and children. Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with one cup of water and use to scrub out those beet juice stains!
4. Vegetable and Fruit Scrubbing: Even though we’ve talked about the benefits of shopping at organic farmers and markets, you still want to clean your fruits and vegetables before eating them. Unless you enjoy soap flavored salads, I wouldn’t recommend soaping your produce. You can scrub each vegetable or fruit with baking soda instead.
5. Deodorize Shoes: Instead of spraying air fresheners from poisonous aerosol cans into your shoes, enabling the soles of your feet to absorb harmful chemicals, you can sprinkle in some baking soda.
6. Treat Bug Bites: Remember when we were kids and we’d run and play from sun-up to sun-down, and even beyond? Remember when the older kids stayed out even later? Like even AFTER the street lights came on? Man, they were rebels. They also got bit up like crazy by mosquitos, but they’d be out the next night just the same. They knew something I didn’t: they rubbed toothpaste on their insect bites. It was the baking soda inside that treated and reduced the itching.
7. Under-Arm Deodorant: I’ve talked about this before, but in case you haven’t heard, there are plenty of people “up-in-arms” (get it?) about the ingredients in their deodorant or anti-perspirants. Harmful chemicals like aluminum have overwhelmingly been linked to cancer. Try sprinkling some baking soda under there instead of clogging your pores with toxins.
8. Toothpaste: We talked about the horrific side effects of a lifelong fluoride poisoning. You can bypass that tragedy by mixing 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of water and using as toothpaste.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda Tonic: We’ve talked about the incredible benefits of RAW, ORGANIC apple cider vinegar, like regulating the probiotics in your gut, boosting immunity etc. Mixing it with baking soda counter-acts the acidity of the ACV, making it easier on digestion. Mix 1 tablespoon of ACV, with 1 teaspoon of baking soda, into 1 tall glass of water.
10. Spray on Garden Plants: There’s a ton of debate about pesticides and their harmful effects on us and our environment. Well, there is no debate. They are terrible. There is, however, some debate about mold, worms, and other insects on our produce. Should we “let them be” or find a non-toxic way to “take care of them?” If you take the second route, baking soda may be helpful. Dilute 4 teaspoons of baking soda with 1 gallon of water and gently mist onto your plants. This will discourage bugs and fungi from invading your food.
Baking Soda and Lemon Juice Tonic
Improve digestion and ward off inflammation with this toni
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Half a lemon
- 8 ounces of purified water.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with half a lemon into 8 ounces of purified water.
- Drink this first thing in the morning.
- Make it a part of your everyday morning routine.