Cabbage is known to have many healing properties and you can harness those properties in ways other eating it. Applying cabbage to a place on the body that’s experiencing joint pain has been proven by researchers to significantly reduce aches and pains.
Cabbage has been used as a folk remedy for hundreds of years to soothe painful joints. It’s high in vitamins and phytonutrients also as anthocyanins and glutamine, both containing anti-inflammatory properties.
Cabbage Leaf Wrap for Joint Pain Relief
You Will Need:
- Cabbage, preferably red cabbage
- Aluminum Foil
- Rolling pin, wine bottle or meat hammer
What You Have To Do:
- Take the top layer of cabbage off and wash it well with water
- Apply a wine bottle, rolling pin or meat hammer to gently bruise the leaves, releasing some of the cabbage juices out.
- Wrap the cabbage leaves in aluminum foil and place in the oven for some minutes to warm them and make the leaves pliable.
- Apply it to the area that’s in pain and secure it in place with gauze and cover the entire poultice with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to contain the warmth.
- Leave the cabbage leaves wrapped around the joint for at least one hour, and longer if desired. The poultice can be left on overnight.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times per day for better results using new cabbage leaves.
NOTES: If you’d prefer a cold compress, place the cabbage in the fridge for 60 minutes
Cruciferous veggies like cabbage contain antioxidants that have been shown to reduce chronic inflammation. These is due to antioxidants like Sulforaphane and kaempferol that is abundant in cabbage.
In one study of over 1,000 Chinese women showed that those consuming more cruciferous vegetables had considerably lower levels of inflammation than those who ate less.Not only is cabbage applied for it is anti-inflammatory properties, but them too is filled with vitamins and nutrients that will contribute to overall best health and wellness.